1.7 PROBLEMS ASSOCIATED WITH LACK OF A RECORDS MANAGEMENT PROGRAMME
The temptation by staff to hoard information/records.
- Very high costs for maintaining useless records – Too much records being created without a clear purpose.
- The organization does not make a difference between active and inactive records.
- Vital records are not identified and accorded the necessary protection.
- The right classification system is not used for the storage and rapid retrieval of information.
- Poor or delayed service delivery
- Poor planning
- Administrative inefficiency and ineffectiveness.
- Faulty decisions – possibility of Action Officer’s taking decisions or making plans without careful analysis using available data or due to loss of critical information required for making, planning and controlling.
- Thriving corruption – due to loss of critical information.
- Unnecessary wastage of time being spent on looking for records.